From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo NPO Business Model thoughts
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 00:13:08
1 On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:34:27 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
5 > On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 14:41 +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
6 > > On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:12:06 -0500
7 > > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
8 > >
9 > > > Ok by no means is this complete, covering all details, etc and so
10 > > > on. It's just initial thoughts on a concept I have had for a few
11 > > > months now. I have brought it up to some on occasion, in person,
12 > > > irc, email, etc. I have receive mixed feedback. Hoping to open
13 > > > that up a bit more here.
14 > >
15 > > Well, our main problem currently is that apparently we don't have
16 > > enough people capable (due to lack of time, motivation or
17 > > experience) to manage such an organization, as it requires effort
18 > > on things that are no fun/not interesting and not rewarding. So how
19 > > do you solve that with your idea?
20 >
21 > While it's not guaranty or miracle solution. It's possible that we
22 > would attract more people, get more time from them, more motivation,
23 > and etc if those people are paid vs volunteer. Volunteering will
24 > always be done on the side, for the most part. Thus subject to being
25 > traded off when time/priorities change. For the non-fun and rewarding
26 > things, the $ is almost a requirement. That justifies the lack of
27 > fun, and provides a reward :)
28
29 Please lets not mix the Gentoo project and the Gentoo Foundation at
30 this point, they are two almost completely independent entities. In the
31 following I'll only talk about the Foundation part.
32 I understand that you have a goal in mind, however currently it's more
33 important how to get away from the current state, so lets focus on
34 that, not on how things eventually will be in a year.
35
36 To get away from the current state we need two things (Btw, the
37 attracting thing about the SFC is that they basically take care of
38 both):
39 A plan for a new structure (that's what your idea is about), and
40 some people to get us there and manage the existing setup for the
41 remaining time (that's what my questions are about).
42
43 Those people have to fit two requirements:
44 1) have to be trusted (or supervised, but then we need trusted
45 supervisors as well) as they are going to be responsible for all
46 assests of Gentoo
47 2) have to be capable of dealing with the paperwork involved, that
48 means time, commitment and preferably experience with such things
49
50 Note that it's not required for them to be involved with the new
51 structure in the end.
52
53 1) is generally assumed for existing foundation members, but those
54 lack 2), going by history at least
55
56 2) should be assumed of externally hired professionals, but for those
57 1) becomes an issue
58
59 And I think it's pointless to discuss a potential new structure if
60 there is nobody who'd get us there, while the SFC offers us a viable
61 short- and long-term alternative (btw, does anyone have a status update
62 on that?)
63
64 Understand that this is independent of the new structure of the
65 Foundation, which is why your answers didn't really address my
66 questions (maybe I should have been more explicit) as they assume the
67 new structure is already up and running. IOW I'm currently not
68 interested in the "how it will be" but in the "who gets us there", or
69 in business terms you plan to restructure the company but haven't
70 thought yet about who will perform that restructuring.
71
72 Marius
77 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
78 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.