From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo NPO Business Model thoughts
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:34:47
1 On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 14:41 +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:12:06 -0500
3 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Ok by no means is this complete, covering all details, etc and so on.
6 > > It's just initial thoughts on a concept I have had for a few months
7 > > now. I have brought it up to some on occasion, in person, irc, email,
8 > > etc. I have receive mixed feedback. Hoping to open that up a bit more
9 > > here.
10 >
11 > Well, our main problem currently is that apparently we don't have enough
12 > people capable (due to lack of time, motivation or experience) to
13 > manage such an organization, as it requires effort on things that are
14 > no fun/not interesting and not rewarding. So how do you solve
15 > that with your idea?
16
17 While it's not guaranty or miracle solution. It's possible that we would
18 attract more people, get more time from them, more motivation, and etc
19 if those people are paid vs volunteer. Volunteering will always be done
20 on the side, for the most part. Thus subject to being traded off when
21 time/priorities change. For the non-fun and rewarding things, the $ is
22 almost a requirement. That justifies the lack of fun, and provides a
23 reward :)
24
25 Now the one MAJOR thing that $ doesn't solve is experience or skill set.
26 Thus I would like to continue to see volunteer contribution, and
27 recruitment. Might go so far as to say, employees become such by
28 volunteering. That might work for most positions and etc, but surely
29 some would likely have to be hired directly. No volunteer time or etc.
30
31 So direct hiring, much less pay rates are some touchy areas. Likely need
32 some in depth discussion on those areas.
33
34 > Hire someone externally (paid or unpaid)? Requires a lot of trust, or
35 > how do you ensure checks and balances?
36
37 There would be normal business structure there, supervisors, managers,
38 etc. All feeding either the council or foundation. Which would provide
39 the checks and balances per say. In theory. Then again we could also
40 form some sort of external board or etc if need be. But much of what an
41 external board would do. I see the foundation members being more than
42 capable, and likely up their alley.
43
44 > Pay someone internally to do the work?
45
46 Most everything I am thinking about is internal stuff, with the
47 exception of hiring. Some of that might be external.
48
49 > Assumes somebody in the
50 > project is capable to do it and would do it for money (how much?), not
51 > sure if we can rely on that.
52
53 Project managers, supervisors, managers, etc work for normal business
54 models. I see no reason why it would not work in our hybrid model
55 either.
56
57 > Assume someone capable likes your idea so much more than the existing
58 > setup that he's doing that job voluntarily? Very unlikely ...
59
60 I think we have seen many take the lead in many subprojects in areas. I
61 don't really see that being as much of a problem. One thing we don't
62 currently see much if is delegation. Which is likely due to one
63 volunteer not wanting to boss other volunteers around. Which is fine,
64 but for productivity and organization, delegation is some what a
65 requirement.
66
67 Sometimes I am asked to do routine tasks or things delegated by others.
68 Which is great, most times I am happy to do it. But it's pretty rare,
69 compared to how things would be if people were directly assigned tasks
70 and had some requirements there.
71
72 > The answer to that question is critical for *any* plan regarding the
73 > future of the foundation, so I'll save my other comments regarding your
74 > idea until we get that figured out.
75
76 Yes, and given that any of the various high level topics need further in
77 depth discussion. Likely end up breaking up this thread per the various
78 high level topics and etc. Otherwise likely to get pretty unweildy all
79 in one thread :)
82 William L. Thomson Jr.
83 Gentoo/Java