From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo NPO Business Model thoughts
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:47:09
1 On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:12:06 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Ok by no means is this complete, covering all details, etc and so on.
5 > It's just initial thoughts on a concept I have had for a few months
6 > now. I have brought it up to some on occasion, in person, irc, email,
7 > etc. I have receive mixed feedback. Hoping to open that up a bit more
8 > here.
9
10 Well, our main problem currently is that apparently we don't have enough
11 people capable (due to lack of time, motivation or experience) to
12 manage such an organization, as it requires effort on things that are
13 no fun/not interesting and not rewarding. So how do you solve
14 that with your idea?
15
16 Hire someone externally (paid or unpaid)? Requires a lot of trust, or
17 how do you ensure checks and balances?
18 Pay someone internally to do the work? Assumes somebody in the
19 project is capable to do it and would do it for money (how much?), not
20 sure if we can rely on that.
21 Assume someone capable likes your idea so much more than the existing
22 setup that he's doing that job voluntarily? Very unlikely ...
23
24 The answer to that question is critical for *any* plan regarding the
25 future of the foundation, so I'll save my other comments regarding your
26 idea until we get that figured out.
27
28 Marius
33 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
34 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.