From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo NPO Business Model thoughts
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 03:19:26
1 On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 01:08 +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 >
3 > Please lets not mix the Gentoo project and the Gentoo Foundation at
4 > this point,
5
6 Ok, but can't really see how you can separate the two with any
7 re-structuring discussion.
8
9 > they are two almost completely independent entities.
10
11 I guess, but essentially the Gentoo Foundation is owner and maintainer
12 of the Gentoo project. So at min maybe like a subsidiary relationship,
13 but I see the two as being closely connected. If not part of the same
14 entity.
15
16 > In the
17 > following I'll only talk about the Foundation part.
18 > I understand that you have a goal in mind, however currently it's more
19 > important how to get away from the current state, so lets focus on
20 > that, not on how things eventually will be in a year.
21
22 Ok
23
24 > To get away from the current state we need two things (Btw, the
25 > attracting thing about the SFC is that they basically take care of
26 > both):
27 > A plan for a new structure (that's what your idea is about), and
28 > some people to get us there and manage the existing setup for the
29 > remaining time (that's what my questions are about).
30
31 Ok, I didn't realize you had wanted me to name names, and suggest titles
32 and positions for them?
33
34 > Those people have to fit two requirements:
35 > 1) have to be trusted (or supervised, but then we need trusted
36 > supervisors as well) as they are going to be responsible for all
37 > assests of Gentoo
38 > 2) have to be capable of dealing with the paperwork involved, that
39 > means time, commitment and preferably experience with such things
40 >
41 > Note that it's not required for them to be involved with the new
42 > structure in the end.
43 >
44 > 1) is generally assumed for existing foundation members, but those
45 > lack 2), going by history at least
46 >
47 > 2) should be assumed of externally hired professionals, but for those
48 > 1) becomes an issue
49 >
50 > And I think it's pointless to discuss a potential new structure if
51 > there is nobody who'd get us there
52
53 If your talking about the legal and paper work side. I know people there
54 I can likely get involved if we seek external. For example
55 http://www.fishertousey.com
56
57 I know Mike Fisher personally, and grew up with his children. He is a
58 very prominent tax and estate attorney. Pretty sure managing
59 organizational things like this is up their alley. Surely the planning
60 and legal aspects. If they can't or don't offer services like that. I
61 know other CPA's and etc. My father was one before he passed away. But
62 contacts there remain. My sister works for Deloitte, and is a CPA, but
63 mostly does corporate asset management and etc. Her clients are Deliotte
64 employees so to speak, branch offices etc.
65
66 But didn't really want this personally bound to me. I am sure others
67 have similar contacts. If not I surely feel confident enough in mine to
68 recommend others research. To establish and build their own trust or
69 credibility in them.
70
71 > while the SFC offers us a viable
72 > short- and long-term alternative (btw, does anyone have a status update
73 > on that?)
74
75 Short of taking care of legal status and filing there. I fail to see
76 what difference the SFC will really make. Also when it comes to say
77 funding request or allocations of funds. Who controls that once the SFC
78 is managing all that? We have to justify to them what we want to spend
79 Gentoo funds on? How will they know what's best to authorize and not?
80
81 How will they help us fill the coffers? How can they manage assets if
82 they don't exist? Beyond assets like the logo, trademark, etc. How will
83 they help us accumulate more?
84
85 Which along those lines, I have another legal contact that I believe
86 deals with either patents or trademarks. Might be both, have a call in
87 there to find out for sure.
88
89 > Understand that this is independent of the new structure of the
90 > Foundation
91
92 Ok, so the above isn't part of any new structure, but aspects that would
93 remain issues either way?
94
95 > which is why your answers didn't really address my
96 > questions (maybe I should have been more explicit) as they assume the
97 > new structure is already up and running.
98
99 Well not really. My structure isn't even a partial foundation of a
100 model. So really couldn't see where one would get the impression it was
101 from a up and running perspective.
102
103 > IOW I'm currently not
104 > interested in the "how it will be" but in the "who gets us there", or
105 > in business terms you plan to restructure the company but haven't
106 > thought yet about who will perform that restructuring.
107
108 Well we here and now are doing the restructuring. It starts with the
109 ideas that together start to form a complete business model. Which would
110 include things like positions, salaries, prices for services to generate
111 revenue and so on.
112
113 Till you have an idea of a position, you can't really have any clue as
114 to who would be best to fill that role. Which I bet once we have defined
115 roles. We could surely find most of what we need from within. With the
116 exception of the legal aspects.
120 William L. Thomson Jr.
121 Gentoo/Java