From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo NPO Business Model thoughts
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 07:46:42
1 On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 22:19:09 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
5 > On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 01:08 +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Please lets not mix the Gentoo project and the Gentoo Foundation at
8 > > this point,
9 >
10 > Ok, but can't really see how you can separate the two with any
11 > re-structuring discussion.
12 >
13 > > they are two almost completely independent entities.
14 >
15 > I guess, but essentially the Gentoo Foundation is owner and maintainer
16 > of the Gentoo project. So at min maybe like a subsidiary relationship,
17 > but I see the two as being closely connected. If not part of the same
18 > entity.
19 >
20 > > In the
21 > > following I'll only talk about the Foundation part.
22 > > I understand that you have a goal in mind, however currently it's
23 > > more important how to get away from the current state, so lets
24 > > focus on that, not on how things eventually will be in a year.
25 >
26 > Ok
27 >
28 > > To get away from the current state we need two things (Btw, the
29 > > attracting thing about the SFC is that they basically take care of
30 > > both):
31 > > A plan for a new structure (that's what your idea is about), and
32 > > some people to get us there and manage the existing setup for the
33 > > remaining time (that's what my questions are about).
34 >
35 > Ok, I didn't realize you had wanted me to name names, and suggest
36 > titles and positions for them?
37 >
38 > > Those people have to fit two requirements:
39 > > 1) have to be trusted (or supervised, but then we need trusted
40 > > supervisors as well) as they are going to be responsible for all
41 > > assests of Gentoo
42 > > 2) have to be capable of dealing with the paperwork involved, that
43 > > means time, commitment and preferably experience with such things
44 > >
45 > > Note that it's not required for them to be involved with the new
46 > > structure in the end.
47 > >
48 > > 1) is generally assumed for existing foundation members, but those
49 > > lack 2), going by history at least
50 > >
51 > > 2) should be assumed of externally hired professionals, but for
52 > > those 1) becomes an issue
53 > >
54 > > And I think it's pointless to discuss a potential new structure if
55 > > there is nobody who'd get us there
56 >
57 > If your talking about the legal and paper work side. I know people
58 > there I can likely get involved if we seek external. For example
59 > http://www.fishertousey.com
60 >
61 > I know Mike Fisher personally, and grew up with his children. He is a
62 > very prominent tax and estate attorney. Pretty sure managing
63 > organizational things like this is up their alley. Surely the planning
64 > and legal aspects. If they can't or don't offer services like that. I
65 > know other CPA's and etc. My father was one before he passed away. But
66 > contacts there remain. My sister works for Deloitte, and is a CPA, but
67 > mostly does corporate asset management and etc. Her clients are
68 > Deliotte employees so to speak, branch offices etc.
69 >
70 > But didn't really want this personally bound to me. I am sure others
71 > have similar contacts. If not I surely feel confident enough in mine
72 > to recommend others research. To establish and build their own trust
73 > or credibility in them.
74
75 Ok, so you're saying we should hire a lawyer recommended by some dev and
76 trust is assumed due to that recommendation. That's what I wanted to
77 know.
78
79 > > while the SFC offers us a viable
80 > > short- and long-term alternative (btw, does anyone have a status
81 > > update on that?)
82 >
83 > Short of taking care of legal status and filing there. I fail to see
84 > what difference the SFC will really make.
85
86 Well, those are our current problems (lack of administration). It's
87 generally a good idea to define the problem you're trying to solve
88 first, especially when you want to compare solutions.
89
90 > Also when it comes to say funding request or allocations of funds.
91 > Who controls that once the SFC is managing all that? We have to
92 > justify to them what we want to spend Gentoo funds on? How will they
93 > know what's best to authorize and not?
94
95 From what I've learnt when this was first discussed we would sign a
96 contract which would control the details and then appoint some people to
97 act as gatekeepers that would indirectly control the funds (also see
98 http://www.grantgoodyear.org/g2blog/gentoo/20070717-sflc.html, I
99 also recall another discussion about this with Grant but can't find it
100 atm)
101
102 > How will they help us fill the coffers? How can they manage assets if
103 > they don't exist? Beyond assets like the logo, trademark, etc. How
104 > will they help us accumulate more?
105
106 Is that a problem for us? For what do we actually need more money?
107 I'll start another subthread to actually discuss your idea.
108
109 Marius
114 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
115 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.