From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo NPO Business Model thoughts
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:37:43
1 On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 08:41 +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 >
3 > Ok, so you're saying we should hire a lawyer recommended by some dev and
4 > trust is assumed due to that recommendation. That's what I wanted to
5 > know.
6
7 Well we are already trusting our devs to an extent. It also comes down
8 to knowing someone and trusting them or trusting a stranger or strange
9 entity. Not to mention most respectably lawyers or tax professionals
10 will have a history. Which unfortunately the SFC completely lacks at
11 this time. I might go so far as to say SPI might be a safer bet than the
12 SFC till they get some more years of experience under their belt.
13
14 While it might be a great concept. What about the SFC is there really to
15 trust? IMHO We need much more info than what they provide on their
16 website. Many questions still unanswered. Even with answers, their
17 impact on projects over years is still unknown.
18
19 Not to mention even Gnome left the SPI. We could consider going with the
20 law firm they are using. Just saying we have other options, and the SFC
21 nor SPI might be not be all they seem to be.
22
23 > Well, those are our current problems (lack of administration). It's
24 > generally a good idea to define the problem you're trying to solve
25 > first, especially when you want to compare solutions.
26
27 Correct, I think we do need a defined list of reasons/problems why we
28 would need the SFC or outside counsel. Legal status and filing being
29 just one of the more obvious and pressing ones IMHO. But we do need to
30 identify the rest before proceeding in any direction.
31
32 > From what I've learnt when this was first discussed we would sign a
33 > contract which would control the details and then appoint some people to
34 > act as gatekeepers that would indirectly control the funds (also see
35 > http://www.grantgoodyear.org/g2blog/gentoo/20070717-sflc.html, I
36 > also recall another discussion about this with Grant but can't find it
37 > atm)
38
39 Yeah I really need to do historic research of past conversations and etc
40 on this topic/subject. I take it any gatekeepers would be elected and
41 etc kinda like the foundation is now.
42
43 > > How will they help us fill the coffers? How can they manage assets if
44 > > they don't exist? Beyond assets like the logo, trademark, etc. How
45 > > will they help us accumulate more?
46 >
47 > Is that a problem for us? For what do we actually need more money?
48 > I'll start another subthread to actually discuss your idea.
49
50 We don't need $ right now because we really aren't spending it. But I
51 think there are many good and logical ways it could be spent to help
52 further things along. Paying people is just one, providing equipment and
53 hardware for them is another. Not sure if infra runs off 100% donated
54 gear or if any of it has been purchased. Things like our hardware wish
55 list we could provide instead of waiting for someone to contribute.
56
57 Many more ways, all with the idea of furthering things along.
60 William L. Thomson Jr.
61 Gentoo/Java