From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo NPO Business Model thoughts
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:38:14
1 On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 11:37 -0500, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > While it might be a great concept. What about the SFC is there really to
3 > trust? IMHO We need much more info than what they provide on their
4 > website. Many questions still unanswered. Even with answers, their
5 > impact on projects over years is still unknown.
6
7 What questions? You do realize that we've been in contact with these
8 people for *months* now, right? We've asked them an awful lot of
9 questions in that time.
10
11 What the SFC provides is simple. They provide knowledgeable and
12 informed staff that are interested in actually running the legal side of
13 open source projects. This is something that Gentoo can not
14 sufficiently provide on its own.
15
16 > Yeah I really need to do historic research of past conversations and etc
17 > on this topic/subject. I take it any gatekeepers would be elected and
18 > etc kinda like the foundation is now.
19
20 We were figuring we'd just let the Council do it. There's no point in
21 having a separate team for this, since all they'd be doing is
22 essentially throwing a "yay" or "nay" to proposals.
23
24 > hardware for them is another. Not sure if infra runs off 100% donated
25 > gear or if any of it has been purchased. Things like our hardware wish
26 > list we could provide instead of waiting for someone to contribute.
27
28 Maybe you should look into how things actually work currently before
29 assuming anything and basing your ideas off your flawed assumptions.
30 We've never once had to wait for contributions to buy anything. We have
31 some money in the bank. It isn't much. In fact, it isn't even enough
32 to reimburse Daniel Robbins for the trademarks once we finalize that
33 transfer.
34
35 To put it simply, we've got almost no money, even after 5 years of
36 accumulating donations and store sales. Our store sales are so
37 absolutely abysmal that I didn't even send in the 2007.0 media. It
38 *literally* cost Gentoo money to sell 2006.1, we sold so few copies. I
39 spent more money shipping the CDs to CafePress than we made in 6+ months
40 of sales.
41
42 Your ideas, while perfectly fine, are on a scale that is completely
43 unrealistic. You need to realize that the scale we're working on is
44 smaller than a mom and pop shop. We're well below the "poverty" line
45 and I don't see us ever coming out of it without somebody like IBM
46 deciding to dumb a few million dollars our way. If that's what you're
47 shooting for, you better get out your slut gear and start your corporate
48 whoring now. You're going to need it. ;p
51 > Many more ways, all with the idea of furthering things along.
54 Chris Gianelloni
55 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
56 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
57 Games Developer/Foundation Trustee