From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [gentoo-nfp] Foundation meeting agenda for April 2018 - update1
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 21:25:56
1 On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 3:13 PM, Matthew Thode
2 <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > I tend to agree that comrel should not police this particular list.
5
6 I think you were just stating an opinion here and not announcing any
7 kind of official policy, correct?
8
9 That aside, I'd suggest that you consider the implications if this were policy:
10
11 1. Is the CoC still in force on this list? If not, are there ANY
12 standards of behavior in force, and if so where are they defined?
13 2. If somebody were to have a concern about violations of any
14 standards in force (CoC or otherwise), where should they direct these
15 concerns?
16 3. Who will deal with any concerns that are raised, and what
17 processes will they follow, and what recourse, if any, is there if
18 there is disagreement with the outcome?
19 4. What expectations of privacy/secrecy should anybody have if they
20 raise a concern?
21
22 IMO you're going to quickly find that if the CoC doesn't apply then
23 you're just going to have to invent another CoC to take its place, or
24 deal with pandemonium. Likewise if Comrel isn't the body enforcing
25 the -nfp CoC then you're just going to have to invent another Comrel
26 to take its place.
27
28 If the concern is that the CoC is broken in some way, wouldn't it make
29 more sense to fix it everywhere than to have two? Likewise, if the
30 concern is that Comrel is broken in some way, wouldn't it make more
31 sense to fix it than to create another?
32
33 If the concern is that you're not sure you trust the individuals in
34 the current system, why would somebody else have more reason to trust
35 the individuals in the new system, if the only thing changing are the
36 names? If the changes are instead to make the process better, then
37 why wouldn't we want to apply the better process everywhere?
40 Rich