From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [gentoo-nfp] Foundation meeting agenda for April 2018 - update1
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 21:32:36
1 On 18-04-16 17:25:52, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 3:13 PM, Matthew Thode
3 > <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I tend to agree that comrel should not police this particular list.
6 >
7 > I think you were just stating an opinion here and not announcing any
8 > kind of official policy, correct?
11 Correct.
12
13 > That aside, I'd suggest that you consider the implications if this were policy:
14 >
15 > 1. Is the CoC still in force on this list? If not, are there ANY
16 > standards of behavior in force, and if so where are they defined?
17 > 2. If somebody were to have a concern about violations of any
18 > standards in force (CoC or otherwise), where should they direct these
19 > concerns?
20 > 3. Who will deal with any concerns that are raised, and what
21 > processes will they follow, and what recourse, if any, is there if
22 > there is disagreement with the outcome?
23 > 4. What expectations of privacy/secrecy should anybody have if they
24 > raise a concern?
25 >
26 > IMO you're going to quickly find that if the CoC doesn't apply then
27 > you're just going to have to invent another CoC to take its place, or
28 > deal with pandemonium. Likewise if Comrel isn't the body enforcing
29 > the -nfp CoC then you're just going to have to invent another Comrel
30 > to take its place.
31 >
32 > If the concern is that the CoC is broken in some way, wouldn't it make
33 > more sense to fix it everywhere than to have two? Likewise, if the
34 > concern is that Comrel is broken in some way, wouldn't it make more
35 > sense to fix it than to create another?
36 >
37 > If the concern is that you're not sure you trust the individuals in
38 > the current system, why would somebody else have more reason to trust
39 > the individuals in the new system, if the only thing changing are the
40 > names? If the changes are instead to make the process better, then
41 > why wouldn't we want to apply the better process everywhere?
44 What I'd like to see (not fully thought out and all) is the following.
45
46 CoC is not enforced on the list by comrel, but comrel can report what
47 they beleive to be CoC violations to the Trustees. The Trustees can
48 take action if they believe necessary.
49
50 While I don't believe that the nfp list needs to be available as a
51 communication forum for foundation members, it would be nice to have it
52 available. I suppose some statement would need to be made as to the
53 purpose (role) the nfp list plays, stating that it is not a right but a
54 privlige to post to it. One that can be revoked at any time for any
55 reason (this phrase because legal shit sucks).
58 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)