From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Bylaws change: removing retired developers by default
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2018 07:43:01
1 On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 01:23:43PM -0700, Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > Plus there's always the chance that something screwy happens and they
3 > get removed against their will. What if they're busy? What if their
4 > email bounces? There are contingencies, and I don't see a reason to
5 > invite Murphy's law into this.
6 I've previously helped co-ordinate the mailouts of the required
7 foundation notices, as well has handle developer retirements. There is
8 an intersection of the two that has turned up.
9
10 Many developers have retired from Gentoo without providing any
11 forwarding email address. This means that they would never get the
12 notice of ballot, because they did not provide us with where to contact
13 them.
14
15 The retiring developers that DID provide a forwarding address at the
16 time of retirement, have in multiple cases not maintained that address,
17 which ultimately started to bounce/reject all mail, and we lost all
18 contact with the developer.
19
20 The email bounce case or simply not having anywhere to send IS a
21 concern. Two (angelos, josejx) of the developers that are proposed for
22 removal in the most recent cycle did not provide any forwarding address
23 when they retired, and thus we have no easy way to ask them if they want
24 to remain part of the foundation.
27 Robin Hugh Johnson
28 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
29 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
30 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
31 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136