From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Nomination of Alec Warner (antarus) for the Trustee Election
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 18:36:22
1 On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 2:15 PM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On 2018.07.12 14:55, Alec Warner wrote:
5 > > Yes.
6 > >
7 > > I've attached my platform[0] on what I plan to do if elected and how I
8 > > plan
9 > > to vote.
10 > >
11 > > -A
12 > >
13 > > [0] https://dev.gentoo.org/~antarus/AntarusBoardPlatform.pdf
14 > >
15 > > On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 5:40 PM, Matthew Thode
16 > > <prometheanfire@g.o>
17 > > wrote:
18 > >
19 > > > Do you accept?
20 > > >
21 > > > --
22 > > > Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)
23 > > >
26 > Fixing things to wind up the Foundation and fixing things to run
27 > the Foundation is exactly the same work.
30 I don't think you understand then.
31
32 Previous boards failed to address problems that were IMHO, critical to the
33 operation of the foundation. This includes boards that I was on (yay shame!)
34
35 Sure, we can do a one-time heroic fix of the finances or whatever. That
36 will not convince me that people on the board care enough to do a good job.
37 The lack of board candidates for election does not convince me the board
38 will find qualified candidates to do the work of the board.
39
40 Ultimately I see a few things coming up as useful metrics of a 'healthy'
41 operating board:
42
43 - Actually have trustee elections. E.g. have more nominated and accepting
44 board candidates than open seats.
45 - Actually buy D&O.
46 - Actually hire a finance person.
47 - File taxes on time for 3 consecutive years.
48 - Actually retain a legal advisor.
49 - Actually engage in long-term planning activities (including fundraising,
50 if D&O is too expensive.)
54 > I don't percieve a vote for Alec, at this time, as a vote to wind up
55 > the Foundaion, that happens later with a vote of members.
58 > Its a vote to fix things, possibly by throwing money at the problems.
61 Certainly Matthew and I share the same step 1. I don't think we share
62 anything after that in terms of future vision.
63
64 Note that as a trustee I have voting power and I doubt I will use it to
65 further expand the activities of the foundation; I want to do the
66 *opposite*.
67
68 So sure, you can say "I don't perceive a vote for Alec as vote for winding
69 up" but I'm explicitly stating I will vote with that set of goals in mind.
70
71 -A
74 > I support the approach if not the ultimate goal.
75 >
76 > --
77 > Regards,
78 >