From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Alternative methods for determining 'interest in Foundation affairs'
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 12:12:01
1 On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 2:51 AM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 2019.09.06 06:29, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >
5 > Michał,
6 >
7 > [snip]
8 >
9 > Some history.
10 > In 2008, when I was elected as a trustee, there was no way to retire
11 > Foundation members. All developers and staffers became members
12 > automatically. It was an opt out system, which a few people did not
13 > agree with.
14 > With the Foundation being only four years old, there was no way that
15 > a meeting of members, or action by members could ever be achieved.
16 >
17 > The original problem that this standard operating procedure (SoP),
18 > it was deliberately not a bylaw, was introduced to retire 'inactive'
19 > members.
22 > > I really think it would be better if people voted only if they really
23 > > wanted to vote, not because otherwise they could be kicked out.
26 For what it's worth, I voted because it was my duty as a foundation member,
27 AND I care about the distro the foundation supports.
28
29 Me potentially being kicked out if I don't vote is of course on my mind,
30 but avoiding removal isn't my primary concern that motivates me to vote. I
31 actually did read the manifestos etc of the candidates, for the record, and
32 I only made a vote for a single candidate, and expressly selected "reopen
33 nominations" for every other spot on my ballot because other than the
34 candidate that I *did* vote for, I didn't agree with their philosophies.
35
36 That works if you have some other way to determine the active
37 > membership.
38 >
39 > The reason that missing two elections was initially used was that it
40 > allows for a long Holiday now and again. At that time, votes were
41 > not always required, as candidates could be returned unopposed.
42 > Just like in any other incorporated entity.
43 >
44 > The rule was a SoP so it could be tested and changed by a vote
45 > of the board as changing the bylaws involves paying fees to NM.
46 > Besides, the process needed to be tested to ensure it had the
47 > desired effect.
50 > [snip]
51 > >
52 > > I think having a quorum is one of the things desired. If Trustees are
53 > > opposed to lowering the requirement for a quorum, then kicking people
54 > > who are not really interested is another way of achieving that.
55 >
56 > Thats were we came in. How?
59 I'm aware of bylaw clause 4.9 at the very least.
60
61 I'm not a trustee, but as a member I oppose any motion that would make it
62 easier for foundation members to be removed that doesn't also give the
63 prospective removee a fair chance to oppose their removal. I'm hesitant to
64 allow a foundation member to be removed involuntarily simply on grounds of
65 an alleged lack of interest, and I say alleged for a reason.
66
67 If someone doesn't respond to pings or goes incommunicado, that's one thing.
68 Someone actively resisting their removal and getting removed in spite of
69 that is another.
70
71 Considering that the undertakers attempted recently to involuntarily retire
72 a developer in spite of said developer's objection, and that said motion
73 was only stopped by direct intervention from the council, I believe I have
74 a good reason to advocate caution in regards to social procedures.
75
76 In my opinion, any case where a foundation member should be removed in the
77 face of them objecting to the removal is also a case that should be
78 reserved for invocation of bylaw clause 4.9.
81 > > --
82 > > Best regards,
83 > > Michał Górny
87 > I'll point out that it may never matter in practice. The Foundations
88 > assets may be transferred to an umbrella before the end of the current
89 > Foundation financial year, so whatever is decided will never be used.
92 For what it's worth, I intend to oppose this motion to the fullest extent
93 possible. I am currently a foundation member, and in spite of my extensive
94 (and not worth elaborating on) record of failing to properly fit into the
95 gentoo community, I still care about the distro, and I do not think that
96 dissolving the foundation would be in the best interests of the mission it
97 was formed to support.
100 > --
101 > Regards,
102 >