From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev-announce@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Forming Gentoo Policy - Copyright Assignment and Attribution
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 20:51:20
1 On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > I'm CCing this to gentoo-dev-announce since this has been a something
3 > high-profile topic, but all replies should stay on gentoo-nfp.
4 >
5 > In order to avoid completely undirected
6 > bikeshedding we're tossing out a strawman for how we might move
7 > forward. This isn't policy - just a proposal for policy, and
8 > decisiveness shouldn't be confused for any unwillingness to discuss
9 > alternatives.
10
11 To date there have been no responses. If none are received this week
12 the Trustees are likely to move forward with enacting a policy similar
13 to what was described. This might entail enlisting legal counsel.
14 (The final policy will be circulated for comment first, with the
15 caveat below.)
16
17 If you have any concerns/objections to the policy which was outlined,
18 which includes a mandatory requirement to sign a contributor license
19 agreement and an option to also sign an assignment-like document based
20 on the FSFe FLA, please speak up this week. While we will of course
21 entertain comments on the final wording of the policy we do not want
22 to have any further debate on the overall direction once we start
23 bringing in lawyers. This is not a good use of our volunteer's time,
24 and possibly even a modest amount of the Foundation's money (obviously
25 we will make every attempt to use the former before the latter). Now
26 is the best time to make any big changes in our approach.
27
28 In short, speak now (on -nfp) or forever hold your peace...
29
30 Rich