From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Nominee manifestos?
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 22:04:18
1 On 07/11/2017 03:57 PM, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 3:42 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o
3 > <mailto:zlg@g.o>> wrote:
4 >
5 > Thoughts?
8 > Ideally a manifesto would be required or at least useful. However...
9 >
10 > The year I ran (because I was begged to, for lack of candidates) I was
11 > the only one diligent enough to write a manifesto. And I wasn't elected.
12 > I may have been a bad candidate for that election, although honestly I
13 > thought I was the better candidate and I'm obviously unbiased, but it
14 > clearly shows manifestos are not a factor. This and the council
15 > elections are beauty contests. Very few people vote and those who do
16 > choose based on who they are friends with. The only thing a manifesto
17 > does in a Gentoo election is satisfy the conscience and ego of the author.
18 >
19 > And now, ladies and gentlemen, Rich's 10-page reply [1].
20 >
21 > Calchan
22 >
23 > [1] This is merely an attempt at preemptively defusing one of his
24 > dreaded novel-sized email bomb. Let's see if it works.
25
26 On the plus side, a manifesto can be reused and edited each year. I
27 can't speak for other Foundation members or developers, but manifestos
28 and general involvement in the distro (incl. commits, helping less
29 experienced developers, strong technical leaders, forum/IRC ops,
30 #g-dev-help, etc) have steered my vote far more than which group I am
31 (or rather, aren't) in. Perhaps it's naïve of me to assume others would
32 do the same, but I'd like to believe we want to elect competent leaders
33 rather than our best buds.
34
35 The recent Council election results confirm that Gentoo is interested in
36 shaking things up a little. I think discussion of goals and directions
37 had a lot to do with that change. Maybe I'm wrong. If you ever decide to
38 run again, I'd be glad to read your take on things.
39
40 ~zlg
41 --
42 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
43 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
44 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6