From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] xorg-x11
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 07:37:36
On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 12:54:53AM -0500, Kito wrote:
> >I'd say there is noone working on the progressive profile at the > >moment. As far as I know, Kito doesn't have a progressive setup as > >well. Hopefully the progressive profile will be deprecated eventually. > > Not sure what gave you that idea...its the only profile for OS X I > find useful :p I know a few others are using it as well. Its
Right, you confuse me, but that's easy ;) I probably have a different definition of 'progressive'. But if you state you use it, you can easily close the bugs on them, I suppose?
> basically the proving ground for the portage base-system packages. > Its also whats used for Darwin development, as building Darwin system > packages requires a heavily modified OS X environment. I don't plan > on deprecating it at all, if you feel strongly otherwise, maybe you > should split the profiles up (again) and let the collision-protect > profiles that install packages to / (non-prefixed) live in profiles/ > default-macos and leave profiles/default-darwin for, well, darwin.
I would think that the current default-macos profiles should get deprecated somehow in their current form and replaced by a prefix thing... For me, non-collision-protect stuff is dangerous/progressive. By using a prefix, a lot of (if not all of) the collision-protect issues should go away (like with fink for example), hence if you then still want something progressive, it will mean something else to me like it means to me now. It will be a misunderstanding from my side, but a separation of alt/darwin and alt/macos might be approriate at that stage, since progressive/darwin then clearly has not the sole purpose to extend and enrich an Apple OSX install. Sounds more like progressive wants to build a Darwin system (perhaps even kernel) with portage as package manager. This is completely cool, but not my cup of tea, and a whole new definition of progressive to me. So maybe we should start a new thread on what progressive actually means/is? :) -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-osx] xorg-x11 Finn Thain <fthain@××××××××××××××××.au>