From: Hasan Khalil <gongloo@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Documentation Update
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:46:23
On Aug 10, 2005, at 24:42, Grobian wrote:

> | Note: With each emerge --sync, the /usr/portage directory is > wiped of > | any user changes. Be sure to keep a log of your development efforts > | and report your findings to the Gentoo for Mac OS X team. > > Ehm, is this really true? I vaguely remember in my first days > doing this thinking a sync would wipe out my mess, then coming to > the conclusion it didn't. I don't know exactly how rsync is being > called, but if a file is newer on the target host, than on the > server, is it overwritten? I thought rsync is able to optimise by > only beaming over the changed files on the server side, preventing > copying all of the files (550MB currently). Somebody slap me with > the man page and the massive number of options supplied to rsync > when running emerge sync if I see ghosts here...
AFAIK, yes. Any time I've made changes to /usr/portage and then did a sync, regardless of whether or not there was an actual update to that file in the meanwhile, my changes were overwritten. Feel free to attack me with a medium-sized herring if I'm completely wrong in throwing in said <note>. I just thought that note would be a nice thing to have in there for anyone who was confused at this functionality. If anyone feels as though it shouldn't be there, please let me know and I'd be glad to remove it. -- Hasan Khalil eBuild and Porting Co-Lead Gentoo for Mac OS X

File name MIME type
PGP.sig application/pgp-signature

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-osx] Documentation Update Grobian <grobian@g.o>