From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] Fwd: Réf. : Re: g-cpan ;)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 08:40:50
On Tuesday 10 May 2005 07:49 pm, Antoine Raillon wrote:
> Well, ok, let's keep it ;) > It has to be cleaned however ;p > and the --list should also be available (it's probably almost the same > code however ;p)
Totally agree.
> > Well my original idea was to avoid new downloads each time you run > g-cpan as user to do search. I admit it's a very specific case ;p > Sniper tried to convince me I was wrong, but i'm not totally convinced > yet ;p
Ah, but if we just avoid cleaning out .cpan, that will cover it. By cleaning out .cpan each run, we wipe the downloaded files that CPAN uses to do the searches. By not deleting them, CPAN checks for their existence and only downloads new ones (the modulelist, etc.) if their time stamp is too old.
> > We support them for searches only ;) > I'd prefer if this file was system-wide, I just think it's the way it > should be =)
Actually - that's not true. Any user under the current code can initiate any g-cpan function, not just searches. And this has advantages, too - if you have configured box to allow members of the portage group to do userpriv emerges, then any user who is a member of groups:portage should be allowed to use g-cpan as well (as they can in the last version of 0.13 I looked at). To boot, a user can append to the overlay listing (I know I do on my local boxes - mcummings has a huge list of overlay dirs compared to root has none) via an environment variable. Plus...I'm drawing a blank on what would go in this config file right now. I can envision in >0.13 including some nifty logging facilities (needed!), but beyond a few config vars related to that I can't come up with anything that you'd want to config (throw me a line here :) )
> > as well as the whole scanning the tree parts :) > > Tomorrow maybe ? but your code is dense and i don't fully understand > it ;) > /me refuses to broke anything ;p
Bah, my code is child's play compared to regex-King's stuff ;)
> > >- updating exit_usage ;p > > > > yeah - thinking we might not want to remove the generated config for > > cpan, just tell them its there and they can fix it if they want better > > performance > > and checking for what will stay in those ./cpan dirs too (especially if > we use them as local overlays ;p)
See comments above - I agree (anyone else want to weigh in?)
> Sniper had some other ideas, but i'll let him introduce them ;)
Isn't step one getting sniper on a gentoo box first ? ;) (j/k) -- -----o()o--------------------------------------------- Michael Cummings | #gentoo-dev, #gentoo-perl Gentoo Perl Dev | on -----o()o---------------------------------------------

Subject Author
Réf. : Re: [gentoo-perl] Fwd: Réf. : Re: g-cpan ;) antoine.raillon@××××.com