From: Yuval Yaari <yyuval@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] g-cpan -u
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:30:49
Michael Cummings wrote:

> I could try the old developer trick of "in the next version..." - but > the short of it is, you're right, we cheat here. Instead of expending > time on checking module versions (which seem to change numbering > schemes between releases sometimes), we just check to see if we need > to make an ebuild for it or if one already exists (after making sure > we are in $OVERLAY/perl-gcpan of course, and not upgrading your 'real' > tree) - then we just rely on portage to handle the -u for anything > that has an ebuild greater than what's installed. Cheap, tawdry - sure > beat writing version checkers (or adding deps for one)(or stealing > more code from how cpan handles it, which I will show off in the next > version with some new fangled dep checking). >
Stealing & hacking code from CPAN: #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use CPAN; my ($module) = CPAN::Shell->expand("Module", 'DBD::mysql'); my $latest = $module->cpan_version; my $have = $module->inst_version; # Skipping version_zeros part (which can also be easily stolen from if (CPAN::Version->vgt($latest, $have)) { print "There's a newer version on CPAN\n"; print "CPAN version: $latest\n"; print "You have: $have\n"; } else { print "No newer version!\n"; } __END__ Can't we rely on that if the CPAN shell relies on that? --Yuval -- gentoo-perl@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-perl] g-cpan -u Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>