From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Too many EAPIs for feature table
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 16:00:45
1 On 06/21/2014 04:11 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > Appendix D contains a big table of EAPI features. This was already
4 > turned sideways when adding EAPI 3, but with EAPI 6 it will be too
5 > wide for the page, even in landscape mode.
6 >
7 > We could:
8 > - Use a smaller font size. This would be a temporary fix for EAPI 6,
9 > but for the next EAPIs we would run into the problem again.
10 > - Split the table into two smaller tables (e.g., for EAPI 0 to 5 and
11 > for EAPI 6).
12 > - Omit the oldest EAPIs (e.g., 0 and 1) from the table, and add a
13 > reference to a previous version of the document.
14 >
15 > I'd prefer the last solution. Appendix D is only informative, and we
16 > still have Appendix E which will list the differences to older EAPIs.
17 >
18 > Any other opinions?
19 >
20 > BTW, with the cheat sheet we'll run into the same problem. There we
21 > have no other choice but omitting some of the information.
22
23 We want to be able to compare EAPIs at a glance, so they all need to be
24 side-by-side or atop one another. Two unrelated features, on the other
25 hand, can safely appear pages apart.
26
27 So my suggestion is to switch "Feature" and "EAPIs"; then, when you run
28 out of horizontal space (too many features), repeat the headers. The
29 features/references are in one-to-one correspondence so they don't need
30 to appear as a row/column in the table:
33 Feature (Reference)
34 EAPI | feature1 (ref1) | feature2 (ref2) | feature3 (ref3)
35 -----------------------------------------------------------
36 0 | yes | no | whatever
37 1 |
38 2 |
39 3 |
40 4 | ...
41 5 |
42 6 |
43 -----------------------------------------------------------
44 Feature (Reference)
45 EAPI | feature4 (ref4) | feature5 (ref5) | feature6 (ref6)
47 0 | yes | no | whatever
48 1 |
49 2 |
50 3 |