From: David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Bash features
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 22:06:45
On Saturday 09 January 2010 18:44:02 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> > Doesn't the way that's worded mean "it has to work with every single > > 3.2 patch", though? I take that to mean "must be completely parsable > > with bash-3.2_p0 through bash-3.2_p9999", not "must work with at > > least one version of bash-3.2_psomething". > > Then we could simply have said "must be parsable with =bash-3.2" which > we didn't. Clearly, the main idea was to disallow usage of bash-4* > features.
That would completely defeat the purpose of specifying a version at all. The most sensible interpretation would be to treat the bash version requirement in the same way as an ebuild dependency. If an ebuild says
>=app-shells/bash-3.2 (it should be >= here, not =*, because ebuilds need to
work with bash 4 too, but the principle is the same), then it means the ebuild is expected to work with /any/ version that matches the dependency. The only difference is that we have a spec that defines the "dependency" which ebuilds are supposed to respect, as opposed to documenting the requirements of a package that someone already wrote.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-pms] Bash features Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>