From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] EAPI cheat sheet (for review)
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 19:21:36

Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>:
> I'm going to be with laptop stuck in the middle of wet, miserable, > rainy nowhere
That sounds like Scotland.
> and relying upon a very slow and dodgy mobile internet > connection over Easter weekend, so that'll give me something to do.
Great. Anyway, the implementation of that label thing is really easy and straightforward. But there are still two options: a) redefine \label, so it always displays its parameter in the margin. b) use a new \pmslabel and \pmsref command which will set a label and display it in the margin without touching the original \label command. \pmsref would then display something like "eapi2:phase:src_install on page 5". So using \ref will still return the section. Implementation differs only in detail, a) allows using the standard commands, b) needs the writer to think about what he does. I vote for b) as a) may break in funny environments as floats and friends (table, figure, minipage etc.). We can talk about the look of the reference and margin label later, but I propose a normal text for the reference and a framed box for the margin label. Next thing. Putting those labels in the margin of the page makes it quite crowded. From a typographical point of view your page layout is just horrible. So I propose a redesign of the text and white space proportions, which will lead to larger margins all around (and pushing the PMS beyond 100 pages, according to my first test runs) Timeframe? You want EAPI 3 to go in before I do my stuff here: i) factor out pms.cls and comment the preamble a bit ii) cheat sheet with EAPI 3 iii) provide named \label and \ref commands iv) redesing page layout V-Li -- Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project <URL:>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode <URL:>

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-pms] EAPI cheat sheet (for review) Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>