From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: GentooPortage <gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] webapp-config and webapps
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:49:17
1 Wendall Cada wrote: [Thu Oct 28 2004, 03:02:38PM CDT]
2 > I have, as do other Gentoo web-app developers that I'll leave unnamed
3 > many ideas about how this could be done better. My input is pointless if
4 > webapp-config is the way things are going to be done. It really negates
5 > the usefulness of many other tools. Was a roadmap created? Was anybody
6 > who uses this stuff asked? Was it mentioned that portage would just
7 > manage the downloading from here on out? Why weren't these features if
8 > necessary made a part of portage?
9
10 The "roadmap" was, indeed, created, and discussed in length on the
11 gentoo-dev mailing list. Take a look at GLEP 11 at glep.gentoo.org,
12 and search one of the gentoo-dev list archives to see the entire
13 discusion.
14
15 If you have a better idea, please do feel free to write your own GLEP.
16 Very little in Gentoo is ever set in stone, so if your idea is better
17 than the current system, and you or somebody else is willing to provide
18 the code to implement it, then the odds are high that it will be
19 adopted.
20
21 Best,
22 g2boojum
23 --
24 Grant Goodyear
25 Gentoo Developer
26 g2boojum@g.o
27 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
28 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76