From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Setting an env var for a specific ebuild
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:39:35
1 I have a problem with building Apache and have not found any answers
2 in searching the forums or asking. Please let me know if this is not
3 the right place to ask.
4
5 Apache uses a wrapper called suexec to run setuid cgi programs. As
6 part of its security check, suexec refuses to run any program whose
7 location does not match a compiled-in path, which by default is
8 .../public_html/... Note that this path is NOT picked up from the run
9 time configuration, but from the build time configuration.
10
11 The net-www/apache-2.0.52-ebuild sets this build time value with an
12 env var:
13
14 apache_setup_vars() {
15 # Sets the USERDIR to default.
16 USERDIR="public_html"
17
18 But I have always used a different USERDIR value, and do not know how
19 to override this. I have resorted to editing the ebuild directly,
20 which means that I forget it on every upgrade and have to scratch my
21 head every time the first suexec program fails. I am getting quicker
22 at diagnosing the problem :-)
23
24 Of course editing the ebuild is not the right way to do it, but I have
25 not found any way of setting an override in /etc/portage or anywhere
26 else. I don't see how my own usr/local/portage ebuild would help; I'd
27 have to copy it from /usr/portage and edit anyway.
28
29 Is there a better way, or any way, to set a more-or-less permanent
30 override of this env var?
31
32 On an unrelated subject, rebuilding imagemagick found a conflicting
33 file, libltdl.a ...
34
35 media-gfx/imagemagick-6.1.0.1 (/usr/lib/libltdl.a)
36 sys-devel/libtool-1.5.2-r5 (/usr/lib/libltdl.a)
37
38 I have never enjoyed using bugzilla, it seems like the kind of
39 bureaucratic molasses that a faceless corporation would set up to show
40 compliance with the letter of a court order while actually
41 discouraging its use. Is there any other way, or has bugzilla gotten
42 better in the year or two since I last tried it elsewhere?
46 Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com
47 GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
48 I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o
51 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list