From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 03:48:20
1 On Saturday 26 November 2005 11:07, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 00:01:15 +0900
3 > Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
4 > > The only other new thing in trunk that I know of is logging but
5 > > there's still a question mark over the ordering of messages... Can
6 > > that be resolved soon? Anything else missing? Any reasons against any
7 > > of the above?
8 >
9 > Resolved how? I'm not really sure I understood the original problem
10 > (other than listdir being underdeterministic in theory).
11
12 TGL suggested that all the messages go into a single file with some sort of
13 prefix that would then be parsed on the python side. The original order of
14 messages could then be maintained. However, seeing as there needs to be no
15 compatibility with the temporary files it could wait for later anyway.
16
17 > > What's on the map for after that? There's a few things listed on the
18 > > new (still unreleased?) project index and I'm looking to get the
19 > > dependency stuff refactored and moved out of emerge.. What are the
20 > > shortterm goals?
21 >
22 > - the pycrypto hash additions (for .54)
23
24 This is only useful if the vote goes in favour of adding further hash types to
25 Manfiest, right? If the vote goes that way I've got no issues with it, but if
26 it doesn't it would essentially be dead code.
27
28 > - Manifest2 verification support (need the GLEP first so the format is
29 > sanctioned). Technically it's complete, just generation is still
30 > unfinished. (so a "maybe" for .54 depending on the timeframe)
31
32 Again, depends on -dev.
33
34 > - Killing off auto-use+USE_ORDER?
35
36 Yep, I'd really like to see this one gone too. We should probably state the
37 intention on -dev first though as there might be a lot of people against it.
38
39 > - the recursive grab* functions I just posted (for .54)
40
41 Needs a small amount of work (/etc/portage/package.mask/foo/bar would break
42 it) but I like the general idea.
43
44 > - addition of auxget/metascan tools (could be for .54)
45
46 No qualms.
47
48 > - integration of set modules, either as emerge targets (requires
49 > serious gutting of emerge) or a first-class atoms (semantically
50 > tricky, no clue about implementation yet)
51
52 I'm working on this with my refactoring. Defininately a post-.54 thing unless
53 you want to quickly hack it into getlist()?
56 Jason Stubbs
59 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list