From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 16:07:54
1 Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Saturday 26 November 2005 11:07, Marius Mauch wrote:
3 >
4 >>On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 00:01:15 +0900
5 >>Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>>The only other new thing in trunk that I know of is logging but
8 >>>there's still a question mark over the ordering of messages... Can
9 >>>that be resolved soon? Anything else missing? Any reasons against any
10 >>>of the above?
11 >>
12 >>Resolved how? I'm not really sure I understood the original problem
13 >>(other than listdir being underdeterministic in theory).
16 > TGL suggested that all the messages go into a single file with some sort of
17 > prefix that would then be parsed on the python side. The original order of
18 > messages could then be maintained. However, seeing as there needs to be no
19 > compatibility with the temporary files it could wait for later anyway.
20
21 a) haven't seen a patch for it, so no clue about how complex it is code
22 wise and b) I generally dislike any markup/parsing in the temporary
23 files. I'd rather get it out as-is now and incorporate any feedback
24 later. As you said this "interface" doesn't have to be compatible, also
25 I intended to add a general "might change"-note for elog in the release
26 notes.
27
28 >>- the pycrypto hash additions (for .54)
29 >
30 > This is only useful if the vote goes in favour of adding further hash types to
31 > Manfiest, right? If the vote goes that way I've got no issues with it, but if
32 > it doesn't it would essentially be dead code.
33
34 Well, the vote was more for the SHA1 change actually as that's the one
35 triggering the size increase. The pycrypto stuff itself doesn't do
36 anything really, it would just make the size increase more apparent.
37
38 >>- Killing off auto-use+USE_ORDER?
39 >
40 > Yep, I'd really like to see this one gone too. We should probably state the
41 > intention on -dev first though as there might be a lot of people against it.
42
43 Well, Spanky liked the suggestion ;)
44
45 >>- the recursive grab* functions I just posted (for .54)
46 >
47 > Needs a small amount of work (/etc/portage/package.mask/foo/bar would break
48 > it) but I like the general idea.
49
50 How would it break?
51
52 >>- integration of set modules, either as emerge targets (requires
53 >>serious gutting of emerge) or a first-class atoms (semantically
54 >>tricky, no clue about implementation yet)
55 >
56 > I'm working on this with my refactoring. Defininately a post-.54 thing unless
57 > you want to quickly hack it into getlist()?
58
59 Don't think so given that offhand I don't even know what getlist() does ...
60
61 Oh, btw, two things that are in trunk but weren't listed in your
62 original mail:
63 - the rewritten versioning code (including the cvs and mult-suffix
64 enhancements)
65 - finally killing of the stupid "masked by -*" message
66
67 Marius
68 --
69 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list