From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 10:08:31
1 On Sunday 27 November 2005 00:09, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 26 November 2005 11:07, Marius Mauch wrote:
4 > >>On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 00:01:15 +0900
5 > >>
6 > >>Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
7 > >>>The only other new thing in trunk that I know of is logging but
8 > >>>there's still a question mark over the ordering of messages... Can
9 > >>>that be resolved soon? Anything else missing? Any reasons against any
10 > >>>of the above?
11 > >>
12 > >>Resolved how? I'm not really sure I understood the original problem
13 > >>(other than listdir being underdeterministic in theory).
14 > >
15 > > TGL suggested that all the messages go into a single file with some sort
16 > > of prefix that would then be parsed on the python side. The original
17 > > order of messages could then be maintained. However, seeing as there
18 > > needs to be no compatibility with the temporary files it could wait for
19 > > later anyway.
20 >
21 > a) haven't seen a patch for it, so no clue about how complex it is code
22 > wise and b) I generally dislike any markup/parsing in the temporary
23 > files. I'd rather get it out as-is now and incorporate any feedback
24 > later. As you said this "interface" doesn't have to be compatible, also
25 > I intended to add a general "might change"-note for elog in the release
26 > notes.
27
28 Yep, fair enough.
29
30 > >>- the pycrypto hash additions (for .54)
31 > >
32 > > This is only useful if the vote goes in favour of adding further hash
33 > > types to Manfiest, right? If the vote goes that way I've got no issues
34 > > with it, but if it doesn't it would essentially be dead code.
35 >
36 > Well, the vote was more for the SHA1 change actually as that's the one
37 > triggering the size increase. The pycrypto stuff itself doesn't do
38 > anything really, it would just make the size increase more apparent.
39
40 Hmm.. I thought it was for hashes supported by pycrypto being added into
41 Manifest before Manifest2 comes along. If it was with regard to SHA1 then I
42 take back my vote to delay.
43
44 > >>- the recursive grab* functions I just posted (for .54)
45 > >
46 > > Needs a small amount of work (/etc/portage/package.mask/foo/bar would
47 > > break it) but I like the general idea.
48 >
49 > How would it break?
50
51 Ahh, never mind. I mis-parsed the grablines call within grablines.
52
53 > >>- integration of set modules, either as emerge targets (requires
54 > >>serious gutting of emerge) or a first-class atoms (semantically
55 > >>tricky, no clue about implementation yet)
56 > >
57 > > I'm working on this with my refactoring. Defininately a post-.54 thing
58 > > unless you want to quickly hack it into getlist()?
59 >
60 > Don't think so given that offhand I don't even know what getlist() does ...
61
62 getlist() is defined in emerge and is used to access the system and world
63 sets. It wouldn't be too hard to customize it to handle user sets and modify
64 other code to support them but the "can't combine sets and atoms" rule would
65 get a bit messy.
66
67 > Oh, btw, two things that are in trunk but weren't listed in your
68 > original mail:
69 > - the rewritten versioning code (including the cvs and mult-suffix
70 > enhancements)
71 > - finally killing of the stupid "masked by -*" message
72
73 That makes the current list for .54:
74
75 * autouse death
76 * cache rewrite
77 * dyn_install cleanup
78 * einfo logging
79 * exec cleanup
80 * flattened vdb *DEPENDs
81 * hash support via pycrypto
82 * ldconfig fix
83 * metascan/auxget
84 * postsync hooks
85 * recursive grab*
86 * RRDEPEND/LDEPEND
87 * sha1 enabling
88 * splitdebug
89 * vdb empty file culling
90
91 Are we about there yet? Also, what does this mean for 2.1/2.2?
94 Jason Stubbs
95 --
96 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list