From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:46:42
1 Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Sunday 27 November 2005 00:09, Marius Mauch wrote:
3 >
4 >>Jason Stubbs wrote:
5 >>Well, the vote was more for the SHA1 change actually as that's the one
6 >>triggering the size increase. The pycrypto stuff itself doesn't do
7 >>anything really, it would just make the size increase more apparent.
8 >
9 > Hmm.. I thought it was for hashes supported by pycrypto being added into
10 > Manifest before Manifest2 comes along. If it was with regard to SHA1 then I
11 > take back my vote to delay.
12
13 Yeah, I guess the mail could be read both ways.
14
15 >>Don't think so given that offhand I don't even know what getlist() does ...
16 >
17 > getlist() is defined in emerge and is used to access the system and world
18 > sets. It wouldn't be too hard to customize it to handle user sets and modify
19 > other code to support them but the "can't combine sets and atoms" rule would
20 > get a bit messy.
21
22 So gutting of emerge ... nope, tried that two times already, but gave up
23 after hitting too many direct references to system and world.
24
25 >>Oh, btw, two things that are in trunk but weren't listed in your
26 >>original mail:
27 >>- the rewritten versioning code (including the cvs and mult-suffix
28 >>enhancements)
29 >>- finally killing of the stupid "masked by -*" message
32 > That makes the current list for .54:
33 >
34 > * autouse death
35 > * cache rewrite
36 > * dyn_install cleanup
37 > * einfo logging
38 > * exec cleanup
39 > * flattened vdb *DEPENDs
40 > * hash support via pycrypto
41 > * ldconfig fix
42 > * metascan/auxget
43 > * postsync hooks
44 > * recursive grab*
45 > * RRDEPEND/LDEPEND
46 > * sha1 enabling
47 > * splitdebug
48 > * vdb empty file culling
49 >
50 > Are we about there yet? Also, what does this mean for 2.1/2.2?
51
52 Well, if that featurelist is .54 then I really don't see a point for
53 making a 2.1 or 2.2 release line. Before your mail starting this thread
54 I assumed that .54 would just contain the ldconfig fix, the hash stuff
55 and maybe a few other minor things, while trunk would become 2.2.
56 But if things like elog, the new cache subsystem, splitdebug or the
57 *DEPEND changes don't qualify for a "minor" version bump, then I can't
58 think of anything that would.
59
60 Marius
61 --