From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 13:26:49
1 On Monday 28 November 2005 03:49, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 27 November 2005 00:09, Marius Mauch wrote:
4 > >>Jason Stubbs wrote:
5 > >>Well, the vote was more for the SHA1 change actually as that's the one
6 > >>triggering the size increase. The pycrypto stuff itself doesn't do
7 > >>anything really, it would just make the size increase more apparent.
8 > >
9 > > Hmm.. I thought it was for hashes supported by pycrypto being added into
10 > > Manifest before Manifest2 comes along. If it was with regard to SHA1 then
11 > > I take back my vote to delay.
12 >
13 > Yeah, I guess the mail could be read both ways.
14 >
15 > >>Don't think so given that offhand I don't even know what getlist() does
16 > >> ...
17 > >
18 > > getlist() is defined in emerge and is used to access the system and world
19 > > sets. It wouldn't be too hard to customize it to handle user sets and
20 > > modify other code to support them but the "can't combine sets and atoms"
21 > > rule would get a bit messy.
22 >
23 > So gutting of emerge ... nope, tried that two times already, but gave up
24 > after hitting too many direct references to system and world.
25 >
26 > >>Oh, btw, two things that are in trunk but weren't listed in your
27 > >>original mail:
28 > >>- the rewritten versioning code (including the cvs and mult-suffix
29 > >>enhancements)
30 > >>- finally killing of the stupid "masked by -*" message
31 > >
32 > > That makes the current list for .54:
33 > >
34 > > * autouse death
35 > > * cache rewrite
36 > > * dyn_install cleanup
37 > > * einfo logging
38 > > * exec cleanup
39 > > * flattened vdb *DEPENDs
40 > > * hash support via pycrypto
41 > > * ldconfig fix
42 > > * metascan/auxget
43 > > * postsync hooks
44 > > * recursive grab*
45 > > * RRDEPEND/LDEPEND
46 > > * sha1 enabling
47 > > * splitdebug
48 > > * vdb empty file culling
49 > >
50 > > Are we about there yet? Also, what does this mean for 2.1/2.2?
51 >
52 > Well, if that featurelist is .54 then I really don't see a point for
53 > making a 2.1 or 2.2 release line. Before your mail starting this thread
54 > I assumed that .54 would just contain the ldconfig fix, the hash stuff
55 > and maybe a few other minor things, while trunk would become 2.2.
56 > But if things like elog, the new cache subsystem, splitdebug or the
57 > *DEPEND changes don't qualify for a "minor" version bump, then I can't
58 > think of anything that would.
59
60 The ldconfig bug and the exec cleanup are the only urgent ones among them. The
61 exec cleanup could be postponed and the existing code twiddled in a couple of
62 places to fix the logging bug. However, the biggest issue that users are
63 complaining about at present is the caching. The biggest issue for devs is
64 security. Hence my original list:
65
66 * cache rewrite
67 * exec cleanup
68 * ldconfig fix
69 * sha1 enabling
70
71 The cache rewrite has existing for many months and has gone through a fair bit
72 of testing so I personally don't have any issues with it going into stable.
73 As I said, the exec cleanup could be postponed and the existing code twiddled
74 only where necessary...
75
76 This is more what I was hoping for 2.0.54. It should really follow hot on the
77 heals of 2.0.53 and be in stable hopefully by the end of the year. If
78 everybody's happy with that, the remainder is:
79
80 * autouse death
81 * dyn_install cleanup
82 * einfo logging
83 * exec cleanup
84 * flattened vdb *DEPENDs
85 * hash support via pycrypto
86 * metascan/auxget
87 * postsync hooks
88 * recursive grab*
89 * RRDEPEND/LDEPEND
90 * splitdebug
91 * vdb empty file culling
92
93 When I said "shortterm goals" in the original email, I was actually referring
94 to after 2.0.54. ;)
97 Jason Stubbs
98 --
99 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list