From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:07:36
1 On Thursday 01 December 2005 22:28, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Monday 28 November 2005 03:49, Marius Mauch wrote:
3 > > Jason Stubbs wrote:
4 > > > On Sunday 27 November 2005 00:09, Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > > >>Jason Stubbs wrote:
6 > > >>Well, the vote was more for the SHA1 change actually as that's the one
7 > > >>triggering the size increase. The pycrypto stuff itself doesn't do
8 > > >>anything really, it would just make the size increase more apparent.
9 > > >
10 > > > Hmm.. I thought it was for hashes supported by pycrypto being added
11 > > > into Manifest before Manifest2 comes along. If it was with regard to
12 > > > SHA1 then I take back my vote to delay.
13 > >
14 > > Yeah, I guess the mail could be read both ways.
15 > >
16 > > >>Don't think so given that offhand I don't even know what getlist() does
17 > > >> ...
18 > > >
19 > > > getlist() is defined in emerge and is used to access the system and
20 > > > world sets. It wouldn't be too hard to customize it to handle user sets
21 > > > and modify other code to support them but the "can't combine sets and
22 > > > atoms" rule would get a bit messy.
23 > >
24 > > So gutting of emerge ... nope, tried that two times already, but gave up
25 > > after hitting too many direct references to system and world.
26 > >
27 > > >>Oh, btw, two things that are in trunk but weren't listed in your
28 > > >>original mail:
29 > > >>- the rewritten versioning code (including the cvs and mult-suffix
30 > > >>enhancements)
31 > > >>- finally killing of the stupid "masked by -*" message
32 > > >
33 > > > That makes the current list for .54:
34 > > >
35 > > > * autouse death
36 > > > * cache rewrite
37 > > > * dyn_install cleanup
38 > > > * einfo logging
39 > > > * exec cleanup
40 > > > * flattened vdb *DEPENDs
41 > > > * hash support via pycrypto
42 > > > * ldconfig fix
43 > > > * metascan/auxget
44 > > > * postsync hooks
45 > > > * recursive grab*
46 > > > * RRDEPEND/LDEPEND
47 > > > * sha1 enabling
48 > > > * splitdebug
49 > > > * vdb empty file culling
50 > > >
51 > > > Are we about there yet? Also, what does this mean for 2.1/2.2?
52 > >
53 > > Well, if that featurelist is .54 then I really don't see a point for
54 > > making a 2.1 or 2.2 release line. Before your mail starting this thread
55 > > I assumed that .54 would just contain the ldconfig fix, the hash stuff
56 > > and maybe a few other minor things, while trunk would become 2.2.
57 > > But if things like elog, the new cache subsystem, splitdebug or the
58 > > *DEPEND changes don't qualify for a "minor" version bump, then I can't
59 > > think of anything that would.
60 >
61 > The ldconfig bug and the exec cleanup are the only urgent ones among them.
62 > The exec cleanup could be postponed and the existing code twiddled in a
63 > couple of places to fix the logging bug. However, the biggest issue that
64 > users are complaining about at present is the caching. The biggest issue
65 > for devs is security. Hence my original list:
66 >
67 > * cache rewrite
68 > * exec cleanup
69 > * ldconfig fix
70 > * sha1 enabling
71
72 Okay, new suggestion.
73
74 Postpone the cache rewrite from above. Have only the minimal mods necessary to
75 fix the PORT_LOGDIR/tee bug. Include the other two as is. That would be
76 2.0.54 as per the attached patch. Get that out soon and get trunk out masked
77 at around the same time. As soon as 2.0.54 goes stable put trunk into ~arch.
78 However, instead of ~arch meaning "regression fixes only" we could just limit
79 it to "minor changes only" (ie. no big refactorings, rewrites or similar high
80 risk changes) until it is time to stable it.
81
82 However, with the trunk's target (2.1?) rather than letting the arch teams
83 decide when we call it stable, I think it would be a better idea to move it
84 to the .0 version when we feel it is ready leaving it in ~arch. As
85 regressions are fixed the .0 can be bumped to .1, .2 or whatever, but the
86 focus can move to what happens beyond that rather than waiting...
87
88 First paragraph is more important right now.
91 Jason Stubbs

2.0.54.patch text/x-diff