From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] A way for trying to prevent useless rebuilds
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 19:00:20
1 On 07/25/2013 11:54 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
2 > This question comes to my mind every time a developer decides to
3 > drop/add a USE flag to ebuilds like gcc/webkit-gtk/libreoffice...
4 >
5 > I think that we should have a file (like used for category movements) to
6 > let PM know how to handle this situation.
7 >
8 > For example,
9 > category/foo-1.0 has a "gnome" USE flag but, later, that one is dropped:
10 > -> If it is now *enabling* that support always, our file could have
11 > something like:
12 > category/foo gnome + -> that would mean that, when "gnome" USE flag is
13 > NOT found, portage assumes it as being enabled, that will mean that
14 > people having previously "gnome" enabled wouldn't need to rebuild the
15 > package
16 >
17 > ... and the opposite
18 >
19 > What do you think?
20
21 We could do something like that. You should propose it in the gentoo-pms
22 list.
23 --
24 Thanks,
25 Zac