From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 02:57:13
1 On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 08:41:27 +0900
2 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wednesday 07 December 2005 01:01, Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > > On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 23:19:38 +0900
6 > > Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > If there's no solid opposition, Saturday I will put current trunk
8 > > > into ~arch as 2.1_beta20051210.
9 > >
10 > > Well, I've already stated several times that IMO using a 2.1 branch
11 > > is wrong (use 2.2 instead), but if I'm overvoted, so it shall be.
12 >
13 > As Brian stated, 2.2 being a version higher than 2.1 will have all
14 > the same expectations placed on it. From what I can see, <1% of users
15 > know anything about 2.1 so >99% would be wondering why there was a
16 > jump from 2.0 to 2.2. Do you have anything against 2.1 other than
17 > fearing that people will expect more from it than it will turn out to
18 > be?
19
20 It isn't about expectations.
21 I just think it's bad engineering to use the same version prefix for
22 two rather different codebases. As for your concerns about confused
23 users, I don't share them. 90% will simply ignore it, 5% will do a
24 quick search and find something like my 2.1 thread in the forums, and
25 the remaining 5% either know already the situation or will draw their
26 own conclusions.
27 After all, wasn't engineering the reason why we're going to increase
28 the minor?
29
30 > Really, the bottom line is that regardless of what the response was
31 > when you asked about portage keywording, if all the arch teams had
32 > confidence in what we thought 2.0.53 would have been stable a long
33 > time ago. On the surface the only benefit is extra testing (which has
34 > already payed off) but it also allows others to take an active hand
35 > in the quality of portage as well as strengthens the communication
36 > channels. It's these auxillary benefits as well as the benefit of
37 > being able to focus on trunk more (which will yield faster rollout of
38 > features) that make me think it is the best way to go.
39
40 Ok, but it still doesn't really have anything to do with arch teams,
41 "just" general QA. Also I didn't mean to criticize you, just stating
42 that this option exists.
43
44 > I can't tell if you followed what I said in my last email so I'll
45 > reiterate. Trunk will go into ~arch on Saturday. 2.0.54 will go out
46 > (also in ~arch) two weeks after that with the two fixes and include
47 > the cache rewrite based on the opinion of a broad range of users
48 > (rather than just the noise makers). SHA1 will of course also go in
49 > based on how it is voted.
50
51 Ehm, what's the point of having .54 in ~arch after trunk is in
52 ~arch? You won't get much testing that way as ~arch users would
53 already use trunk and stable users likely won't know about .54 ...
54 (typical visibility problem)
55
56 Marius
61 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
62 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.