From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Package moves in overlays
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 17:23:35
1 Mike Auty wrote:
2 > Yeah,
3 > I agree that the updates should only affect that individual tree.
4 > Whilst I can imagine cases where a move in the main tree should affect
5 > overlay trees (such as recategorizing some net-misc ebuilds into a
6 > net-proxy category), that could at least be emulated with a per-tree
7 > move directive fairly easily.
8 > It sounds as though the answer is that there currently no way to do
9 > these kinds of moves, so what's the next step? Should I try and hack up
10 > a version to deal with updates on a per tree basis? Is it actively
11 > being developed and I'm just unaware of it? What can I do to help get
12 > this feature into a future version of portage? It would be very useful
13 > to have, because at the moment network administrator's can't quite use
14 > overlays as a software management mechanism...
15 > Thanks for you time,
16
17 As currently vdb/pkgdir don't track the repo where a package comes from
18 it's not possible to do it in a proper way (those are affected by moves,
19 not the repositories themselves).
20
21 Marius
22 --