From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage docbook documentation -> why not asciidoc ?
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 09:26:41
1 On 11/26/10 21:18, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 11/26/2010 08:32 AM, Lionel Orry wrote:
3 >> Dear all,
4 >>
5 >> I just made a try to convert the portage documentation
6 >> (http://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/) to asciidoc so that it
7 >> would be easier to maintain and with a standard layout and style that
8 >> is IMHO not bad and makes the doc easier to read. Are you interested?
9 >>
10 >> I attach the asciidoc sources, a tiny makefile and an already
11 >> generated version in the 'portage.chunked' directory. All you need to
12 >> generate the doc is 'emerge asciidoc'.
13
14 What I have seen of the output looked awesome, the sources look clean.
15
16 I noticed that on the index page the table of contents are not as
17 detailed as in the current version online. Is that wanted or a
18 limitation? If the latter: is that a problem?
19
20 On the conversion: did you come across any limitations?
21 Anything that you were not able to map 1:1?
24 >> The only issue I had was including several authors, so this part is
25 >> commented out. But if we stick to the docbook backend, we can include
26 >> a docinfo file that solves the problem.
27 >>
28 >> Hope you'll find this useful...
29 >
30 > The asciidoc format seems nice, but personally, I think I prefer docbook
31 > since the SGML/XML approach seems more flexible and extensible.
32
33 Are you making use of that flexibility anywhere at the moment? If not
34 is such use planned for something specific?
35
36 In case DocBook is keeping contributions down than cutting away certain
37 flexibility to increase contributions could be a good trade-off, too.
40 > Maybe
41 > XML isn't quite as easy to read and edit, but it seems like a good
42 > trade-off to me.
43
44 I migrated the documentation of Layman from DocBook to AsciiDoc recently
45 [1], because I noticed that the one reason I never really touched the
46 documentation after taking Layman over (besides version upgrades) was
47 DocBook. And that despite the fact that I started using AsciiDoc only a
48 few months ago (on the enum project [2]).
49
50 Best,
54 Sebastian
57 [1]