From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage docbook documentation -> why not asciidoc ?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 20:19:03
1 On 11/26/2010 08:32 AM, Lionel Orry wrote:
2 > Dear all,
3 >
4 > I just made a try to convert the portage documentation
5 > (http://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/) to asciidoc so that it
6 > would be easier to maintain and with a standard layout and style that
7 > is IMHO not bad and makes the doc easier to read. Are you interested?
8 >
9 > I attach the asciidoc sources, a tiny makefile and an already
10 > generated version in the 'portage.chunked' directory. All you need to
11 > generate the doc is 'emerge asciidoc'.
12 >
13 > The only issue I had was including several authors, so this part is
14 > commented out. But if we stick to the docbook backend, we can include
15 > a docinfo file that solves the problem.
16 >
17 > Hope you'll find this useful...
18
19 The asciidoc format seems nice, but personally, I think I prefer docbook
20 since the SGML/XML approach seems more flexible and extensible. Maybe
21 XML isn't quite as easy to read and edit, but it seems like a good
22 trade-off to me.
23 --
24 Thanks,
25 Zac