From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage docbook documentation -> why not asciidoc ?
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 14:54:13
1 On 11/27/2010 01:25 AM, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > On 11/26/10 21:18, Zac Medico wrote:
3 >> The asciidoc format seems nice, but personally, I think I prefer docbook
4 >> since the SGML/XML approach seems more flexible and extensible.
5 >
6 > Are you making use of that flexibility anywhere at the moment? If not
7 > is such use planned for something specific?
8
9 Honestly, I don't know.
10
11 > In case DocBook is keeping contributions down than cutting away certain
12 > flexibility to increase contributions could be a good trade-off, too.
13
14 I'm not sure that docbook represents a significant barrier in this
15 respect. It's hard to speculate. Maybe if we had a survey sampling the
16 opinions of a broad spectrum of open-source developers, then we'd have
17 more to go on.
18
19 As it is, I'm fairly comfortable with docbook. Now you want me to learn
20 a new format, with possible drawbacks, in order to try and draw in some
21 contributions that may never happen?
22 --
23 Thanks,
24 Zac