From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage docbook documentation -> why not asciidoc ?
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 21:40:27
1 On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 6:53 AM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 11/27/2010 01:25 AM, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
3 >> On 11/26/10 21:18, Zac Medico wrote:
4 >>> The asciidoc format seems nice, but personally, I think I prefer docbook
5 >>> since the SGML/XML approach seems more flexible and extensible.
6 >>
7 >> Are you making use of that flexibility anywhere at the moment?  If not
8 >> is such use planned for something specific?
9 >
10 > Honestly, I don't know.
11 >
12 >> In case DocBook is keeping contributions down than cutting away certain
13 >> flexibility to increase contributions could be a good trade-off, too.
14 >
15 > I'm not sure that docbook represents a significant barrier in this
16 > respect. It's hard to speculate. Maybe if we had a survey sampling the
17 > opinions of a broad spectrum of open-source developers, then we'd have
18 > more to go on.
19
20 In general I don't see docbook as a problem. If I file a portage bug
21 and say something needs to be changed or documented then attaching
22 plain text additions is usually sufficient for inclusion. The bigger
23 problem portage faces is that very few people actually know enough
24 about how it works and this leaves only a few people who can actually
25 write (or verify) that documentation is correct.
28 > As it is, I'm fairly comfortable with docbook. Now you want me to learn
29 > a new format, with possible drawbacks, in order to try and draw in some
30 > contributions that may never happen?
31
32 Here is where I would look for data. Are there pending contributions?
33 I have not seen anyone on this list specifically say "I'd write some
34 documentation if it was not in docbook." I have had issues (years
35 ago) getting vapier to write documentation; but I assumed that was
36 because he hated writing docs and he contributed documentation after a
37 while.
38
39 > --
40 > Thanks,