From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Questions about CVS locations and GID...
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 18:43:24
1 On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 07:29:12PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:07:12 -0400 Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
3 > wrote:
4 > | Then I suggest you file this e-mail away and when the time comes that
5 > | the code is to be merged and it sucks ( and by sucks I mean more than
6 > | "it doesn't meet Ciaran's software engineering standards" ) you can
7 > | waive the mail in everyone's face. No project, specs or not, is ever
8 > | written right the first time. At the very least someone can take his
9 > | code and improve on it in the future.
10 >
11 > Yeah, right, because saying "I told you so" after the shit hits the fan
12 > is ever so helpful. Right.
13
14 What's stated above, and what this thread has come down to is that
15 you're putting a lot of reqs and pointing at whatever roadblock you
16 can for anyone who attempts it. Kudos, although bluntly, talk is
17 cheap.
18
19 You're not chipping in any way, you're fitting the exact definition of
20 drobbin's "freak"
21 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/articles/making-the-distro-p1.xml
22 in how you're interacting with those attempting to pull this off (and
23 I'm not even remotely commenting on your flaming of those merely
24 asking questions).
25
26 Produce a patch and maybe people will listen to you, otherwise those
27 of us who are tired of listening to others state how it should be done
28 (but do nothing but talk), are going to jump in and do it, addressing
29 the issues thus pointed out.
30
31 In other words, their really is no point in debating people attempting
32 it. They're going too, and as I made pretty bluntly clear, the only say
33 you've got on this is as a member of the dev community when/if they
34 push for it to go mainline.
35
36 Kind of hard to block it when nothing has been produced after all.
37
38 Regardless, this list doesn't have flamewars, and I'd thank
39 all participants to kindly back off (and yes, I'm being a damn
40 hypocrite in stating it).
41
42 If people are up for the continuing pissing match, take it private.
43 ~harring