From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Deprecating 'emerge action' syntax
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:05:49
1 On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:31:25 +0100 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Right now 'emerge action' and 'emerge --action' are both supported.
4 | But as we learned with the rsync case 'emerge action' has potential
5 | namespace conflicts with 'emerge package' I'd propose to deprecate
6 | 'emerge action' before we hit another real conflict.
7 | (The alternative would be to deprecate 'emerge package' in favor of a
8 | to-be-written 'emerge install <package>', but that's even more
9 | problematic)
10 | Technically it's a no-brainer, only potential problem would be user
11 | confusion.
12 | Any objections against this for pre5?
13
14 Mmm, is this taking advantage of Daniel no longer being able to revert
15 it? :)
16
17 About time. This one's still one of the major sources of end user
18 confusion.
21 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Wearer of the shiny hat)
22 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
23 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm