From: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] gentoolkit.git repository reorganized
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 17:55:06
1 On 10/21/2015 11:48 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On 22 Oct 2015 00:45, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >> On 21 Oct 2015 16:35, Paul Varner wrote:
4 >>> On 10/20/2015 03:34 AM, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
5 >>>> On 15/10/15 19:42, Paul Varner wrote:
6 >>>>> Over the last couple of days, I have done the following:
7 >>>>> 1. Migrated the gentoolkit-dev branch to its own gentoolkit-dev.git
8 >>>>> repository
9 >>>>> 2. Moved the gentoolkit branch to master on the
10 >>>>> gentoolkit.git repository
11 >>>> Why did you not just make gentoolkit master, and leave gentoolkit-dev as
12 >>>> a branch? That's certainly the common way of using git.
13 >>>>
14 >>> Mainly, because at this point gentoolkit and gentoolkit-dev are now
15 >>> almost completely separate code bases as well as being separate packages.
16 >>>
17 >>> They share a common ancestry and that can be seen looking through the
18 >>> commit log, but starting with gentoolkit-0.2.5, gentoolkit started
19 >>> migrating to python as the only scripting language and utilizing the
20 >>> Portage API with setuptools as the build system. The two remaining bash
21 >>> scripts are being rewritten in python and when that is complete, they
22 >>> will be completely separate code bases.
23 >>>
24 >>> gentoolkit-dev has stayed as a collection of stand-alone scripts written
25 >>> in multiple languages intended mainly for Gentoo developers.
26 >>>
27 >>> Since they really do not share any code anymore, it did not make sense
28 >>> to me keeping gentoolkit-dev as a branch and it should be in its own
29 >>> repository.
30 >> echangelog is the only non-shell/python script, and arguably not useful
31 >> anymore. repoman itself has a changelog option, and since the move to
32 >> git, we don't commit ChangeLog entries anymore. i would just punt it.
33 >>
34 >> there's also eviewcvs written in perl, but that's also dead now that
35 >> we use git, so it should be punted.
36 >>
37 >> that really only leaves three:
38 >> - ebump - bash
39 >> - ekeyword - python
40 >> - imlate - python
41 >>
42 >> why not merge them into a single repo ? you can have a dev/ subdir
43 >> for scripts that are more developer oriented and put them behind a
44 >> USE=dev flag.
45 > another reason i think there should be one: gentoolkit-dev rarely sees
46 > releases, nor is it clear who is supposed to be making them, nor does
47 > it seem like a good use of time to have independent builds/packages.
48 > since gentoolkit is getting rolled, updates could finally go out.
49 >
50 > case in point: ekeyword was rewritten almost 2 years ago and it still
51 > hasn't seen a release.
52 > -mike
53
54 Thanks for the feedback, this is one reason why I've kept the branch and
55 have not deleted it yet. As far as releases for gentoolkit-dev, idl0r
56 was managing it, but as you have observed that has not been happening.
57
58 Mike, I know you're busy with other stuff, but if you ever want to see a
59 new gentoolkit/gentoolkit-dev release, consider this your authorization
60 to just do it. The README.dev files state how to make releases.
61
62 Since, the tools have dwindled down in gentoolkit-dev, I do think it
63 does make sense to keep it in the same repo and merge the packages
64 together behind a USE flag. I will revert the commit, that emptied the
65 genttolkit-dev branch and ask mgorny to nuke the new gentoolkit-dev
66 repository.
67
68 As I get time, I will work towards moving the gentoolkit-dev tools into
69 gentoolkit and putting them behind a USE flag in the ebuild.
70
71 Regards,
72 Paul