From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] two remarks on portage-2.0.51-r2
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:48:55
1 On Saturday 23 October 2004 21:17, Pablo De Napoli wrote:
2 > I see that portage-2.0.51-r2 is now stable.
3 > However, It has some useful features that are deprecated or broken.
4 >
5 > 1) emerge --upgradeonly
6 >
7 > Why is this deprecated? I think it is endeed a useful feature.
8 > I'm not sure that the files /etc/portage/package* are a good (esay-to-use)
9 > replacement for it.
10
11 Downgrades happen when:
12 * a package's versioning changes and it is actually an upgrade,
13 * a package is broken and dangerous, or
14 * masking has been bypassed in some way.
15
16 In the first two cases, you want the change to happen. In the
17 third, /etc/portage/package* serves you much better.
18
19 > 2) emerge ebuild by path
20 >
21 > Acording to the man page, this is broken, however it is the most obvious
22 > way to specify an ebuild, isn't it?
23 >
24 > Why is this feature broken, could anybody find out?
25
26 It was always broken. It is fact now slightly less broken than it was in
27 2.0.50. At least now it'll prevent tell you when you are going to install
28 something unmasked - which is it's main use by developers - and actually
29 cancel the merge when it's not about to merge that which you asked for.
30
31 > I think is very important to keep the quality of portage to the highest
32 > standards, so I suggest not to realese as stable a version with important
33 > features broken.
34
35 No offense but I find this almost comical. Have a look on bugs.g.o for portage
36 bugs. You'd be surprised I think. 2.0.51 has bugs - even a couple of new ones
37 that should be fixed soon - but there's nothing really broken that wasn't
38 broken before.
39
40 Regards,
41 Jason Stubbs