From: Hasan Khalil <gongloo@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage doc & cache
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:18:15
1 Perhaps using a mysql-based cache would give more benefits than meets
2 the eye? I'm thinking particularly about, if it were possible, keeping a
3 mysql-based cache on a central server on my LAN, and having all clients
4 use that rather than having to keep a cache on each and every one of
5 them. This would also speed up cache times on slower machines, assuming
6 the network is faster than local access (which is sometimes the case in
7 my environment). Just a thought.
8
9 -Hasan
10
11 Philippe Lafoucrière wrote:
12 >
13 >> For someone like me using mysql-based cache rather then portage's default
14 >> cache, how will that figure?
17 > I have a laptop with 256 MB RAM. I can't consider installing a full
18 > database system to handle package managment. Maybe SQLlite, but not
19 > mysql :(
22 >>> There are too many files to consider now in portage. At start, portage
23 >>> had just a few hundred of files, and rsync was doing its job quite well.
24 >>> Now portage has more than 80 000 files. Rsync has to consider all of
25 >>> them, and it's *REALLY* too long + painfull (my laptop is almost
26 >>> unusable during rsyncing). Sound like a "select * from table" on a test
27 >>> server with 15 test clients => will break in production environnement
28 >>> with thousands of clients.
32 >> I have a 900mhz celeron (copermine), and maybe its the love-sources and
33 >> ~x86 packages, but ive still been able to do crazy things like talk on
34 >> irc, have firefox open, update some programs, all while 'emerge sync'-ing
35 >> without too much preformance lost* (now if i forget to turn off
36 >> seti@××××××××.then my computer will simply lockup untill i can get to a
37 >> tty). You might want to check out if theres something with your
38 >> laptop, if
39 >> these extremly long times happen with other equpiment.
40 >>
41 >> * I should mention i emerge sync every one or two days.
44 > Rsync doesn't work with the corporate proxy + firewall. I have to use
45 > emerge-webrsync (ev. 2 or 3 days).
46 >
47 > --
48 > gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list