From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Commit Policy
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 07:33:35
1 On Mon, 2014-01-13 at 07:43 +0100, Sebastian Luther wrote:
2 > Am 10.01.2014 11:35, schrieb Brian Dolbec:
3 > > First off. Welcome and than you for responding to help with
4 > > portage.
5 > >
6 > > With this many people, we should be able to make good progress
7 > > without overloading any one person.
8 > >
9 > > General rule is to submit all patches to this list for review and
10 > > approval before committing.
11 > >
12 > > Remember to do these always: 1) run pyflakes on your changes to
13 > > check for faults, misssing imports, variables undefined,...
14 > >
15 > > 2) run the testsuite to check for breakage. It is in the base
16 > > directory called runtests.sh. Please try to test it with all
17 > > minimum supported python versions, but if you have pypy, and some
18 > > others, then great.
19 > >
20 > > 3) any new code that could break things, make a test for it if at
21 > > all possible.
24 > > The general exception for patch submittal is for trivial changes
25 > > such as typo fixes, etc..
26 > >
27 > > It will take a bit of time for everyone to acclimate themselves
28 > > into our new team. So, I was thinking we give it 2 months, then
29 > > hold an election for lead in March. Is that alright with
30 > > everyone?
31 > >
32 > > Thanks
35 > One more useful thing:
36 >
37 > Put this in ~/.gitconfig:
38 > [color]
39 > ui = auto
40 >
41 > This way git diff will use colors, including highlighting of trailing
42 > whitespace.
47 I use an editor that I have set for both showing whitespace (you see
48 tabs, spaces) and auto-strips trailing whitespace on save.
49
50 nice tip for the git diff.
51
52 I like using dev-vcs/gitg for doing commits, viewing different branch
53 trees, cherry-picking (in color too). For commits it lets you pick
54 changes 1 at a time (+ or -) when you've done several changes, but wish
55 to split them into logical commits. Handy when you spot things that
56 need fixing, but don't want to forget to do after your current change
57 session & commit.
60 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>