From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] About how to make compilation think some files are missing
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 00:06:50
1 On 02/12/2011 07:50 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
2 > This comes from glitz removal (bug #330397), as soon as cairo-1.10 gets
3 > stabilized, depclean will try to remove glitz, but removing glitz will
4 > break a lot of apps, needing to rebuild them and, until then, having a
5 > partially broken system.
6 >
7 > I then thought on running revdep-rebuild --library libglitz-glx.so.1
8 > BEFORE removing glitz (to prevent breakage), but later I remembered it
9 > wouldn't work as rebuilt packages would link again against
10 > libglitz-glx.so.1.
11 >
12 > Then, my idea would the following:
13 >
14 > Would be nice if I could tell portage to make compilation think
15 > libglitz-glx.so.1 is not present in real system (maybe sandbox could
16 > prevent its readability inside build environment), and then, I could run
17 > "revdep-rebuild --library libglitz-glx.so.1" before removing glitz and
18 > affected apps would not link to it, allowing me to safely remove glitz
19 > later without having had a broken system at any time.
20 >
21 > What do you think? Thanks
22
23 Ideally, the build system(s) involved would have options to explicitly
24 disable linking against the deprecated library.
25
26 Barring that possibility, something like your sandbox idea seems like
27 the second-best solution.
28
29 On par with the the sandbox idea would be to migrate the deprecated
30 library to a directory which is not included in the default library
31 search path, and to use a global LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting so that your
32 apps can find it until they are rebuilt. Then you could execute your
33 rebuilds in an environment with a modified LD_LIBRARY_PATH value that
34 excludes the path of the deprecated library.
35 --
36 Thanks,
37 Zac