From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Recommendation about faster (not smaller) filesystem and blocksize combination for portage tree
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:31:04
1 Pacho Ramos <pacho@××××××××××××××××××××××××.es> posted
2 1238412618.18113.15.camel@localhost, excerpted below, on Mon, 30 Mar 2009
3 13:30:18 +0200:
4
5 > I am trying to know what filesystem+blocksize combination could be
6 > better for the kind of files stored in portage tree.
7 >
8 > In the past, I have been using reiserfs for my / partition and I had
9 > /usr/portage under it. Later, I moved /usr/portage to a different
10 > partition (distfiles go to a different directory) and switched it to
11 > ext2 (as, in theory, ext2 should be faster as has no journaling) and
12 > 2048 as blocksize (that, of course, shrinks portage tree sizes but I am
13 > unsure about its effects from a performance point of view)
14
15 You are aware of the various reiserfs mount options, including notail and
16 nolog, right? See the mount manpage. reiserfs was tuned for small
17 files, but these may speed it up even further.
18
19 Other than that, much as I could suggest all sorts of stuff (like
20 PORTAGE_TMPDIR as tmpfs, will probably make more of a difference if you
21 have a decent amount of memory), I'll point you to the user forums and
22 list as more appropriate. This list is really for discussion of portage
23 and portage related development, not so much user portage speed tips, but
24 ask in the user list and forums and you'll surely get all sorts of info!
25 =:^)
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman