From: "Philippe Lafoucrière" <lafou@×××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Re: portage-ng roadmap?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:15:10
1 >>need help ?
2 >>I'd like to work on the cache part, since I'm getting sic of "emerge rsync".
5 > A big change in what I have, which is not nearly workeable yet (and I won't
6 > work on it at all until august) is that it tries to use lazy evaluation
7 > techniques combined with in memory caching. When you open an ebuild object you
8 > can do with it whatever you want but the actual file is only read at the
9 > moment you request the value of a property other than the version. Similarly
10 > the packages in a category are only requested on demand. Searching (emerge -s
11 > like) uses a smart strategy using the glob function ;-). The cache
12 > precalculation should not be necessary for the full rewrite.
15 Paul,
16
17 do you think end-users need all ebuilds ? I have a laptop, and fetching
18 the whole portage tree doesn't make any sence, since I emerge only a few
19 apps. On the other hand, I'd like to fetch a "pre-computed" cache or
20 world file, and fetch only ebuilds when necessary (emerging a package
21 for example). Those "emerge rsync" are way too long, and can be
22 drasticly reducted using a different way of thinking.
23
24 Of course, the whole portage tree could be installed, as it is in FreeBSD ;)
27 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list