From: Josh McCormack <joshmccormack@××××××××××××××.com>
To: tom <listbox@×××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] working Old World Linux Mac
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 14:12:26
1 Did you use an image like this one?
2 .../pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/1.4_rc1/ppc/stage1-ppc-1.4_rc1.tbz2
3 <http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/1.4_rc1/ppc/stage1-ppc-1.4_rc1.tbz2>
6 I found 1.4_rc1 and 1.4_rc3 (in a rc2 directory) and experimental ones.
7
8 Is there a special way to burn this onto a CD? I'm burning on Windows,
9 and I don't think I did it right.
10
11 Josh
12
13 tom wrote:
14
15 > Curiosity got the better of me as my memory of a month ago fades :)
16 >
17 > From MacOS:
18 >
19 > Insert GentooCD
20 > double click bootX (assumes you have kernel in appropriate place)
21 > click options button
22 > click 'boot from specified ram disk'
23 > navigate CD to GentooPPC_1.4:boot:livecd.img
24 > click ok
25 > in kernel options/arguments box enter:
26 > devfs=mount init=linuxrc.installer rw
27 > NOTE: I don't know if the rw option is necessary - it was in 1.2
28 > click the linux button
29 >
30 > You should boot into the (partial on rc2) installer which will allow
31 > you to setup the network and partition your disks and extract the
32 > stage tarball that you want to use. The docs from 1.2 were
33 > sufficiently close to allow me to continue from there, although IIRC
34 > there were not any stage tarballs on the iso I have - thus the need to
35 > transfer it from a hfs partition where it was downloaded by macos - I
36 > couldn't remember the url from ibiblio to use wget.
37 >
38 > REQUEST TO ANY PACKAGERS:
39 > we oldworld users want quik instead of yaboot - thank you debian
40 >
41 > also, my ancient twinturbo video driver was not built by default in
42 > the build of X, so I grabbed a binary module from debian which has
43 > worked fine. I love apt-get, but for me, the optimized compiles have
44 > made gentoo the distro for me.
45 >
46 > Thanks guys,
47 >