From: tom <listbox@×××××××.net>
To: Mark Guertin <gerk@g.o>, gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] working Old World Linux Mac
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 17:55:30
1 Mark Guertin wrote:
2
3 > quik is in portage, were there problems with it? We don't suggest quik as a
4 > default as on some machines with broken OF it doesn't work right (my
5 > wallstreet for example), and for many people playing in OF is not a simple
6 > option unless they have a serial terminal handy ;)
7
8 Booting directly into linux is so much nicer than bootx tho...
9
10 I don't think quik would compile with gcc 3.2. I built it from source on
11 a debian box with 2.95.3. To tell you the truth I don't remember if I
12 tried to emerge it from portage or tried to directly compile it.
13
14 There is some good info on OF for oldworlds on netbsd.org(port macppc),
15 and penguinppc.org has a page or two of quik info.
16
17 >>also, my ancient twinturbo video driver was not built by default in the
18 >>> build of X, so I grabbed a binary module from debian which has worked
19 >>> fine. I love apt-get, but for me, the optimized compiles have made
20 >>> gentoo the distro for me.
23 > Can you file a bug on this at bugs.gentoo.org please?
24
25 The next time I emerge X, I will probably do it in stages and modify the
26 site.def or site.cfg file (where you can specify what drivers are built)
27 as outlined in a recent post on the nvidia cards. I need to do the same
28 thing with ghostscript for the proper device set. I wonder if it would
29 be possible to incorporate hardware devices supported into your USE
30 settings? I don't know that something like this is as much a bug as just
31 a lack of interactive configuration options at compile time. I'm still
32 learning portage and ebuild, so I'm more apt to put it down to my lack
33 of knowledge rather than a gentoo problem. How many people are still
34 using their 6 yr old dual processor pci-macs?
35
36 tom
40 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list