From: Stefan Bruda <bruda@×××××××××××.ca>
To: Lincoln Rutledge <lrutledge@×××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] bootstrap install from hfs partition?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:00:23
1 Hi.
2
3 At 17:40 -0400 on 2004-8-16 Lincoln Rutledge wrote:
4 >
5 > My iBook is a 366 Indigo, and the cdrom doesn't read burnt cds. Is
6 > there a way to bootstrap the install from the hard drive, a la
7 > Debian and OpenBSD?
8
9 I did install many times Gentoo from a live system, and it is not that
10 much different from a usual install from CD. Heck, now that I think
11 about it I realize that I did more such installations than
12 installations from CD! Essentially I downloaded the stage, unpacked
13 it into the volume of choice, chrooted into the said volume, and
14 boostrapped/emerged as usual. Just follow the handbook--true there
15 are some tools that do not exist in this setting (mirrorselect for
16 instance) but they are not critical to the process at large by any
17 means.
18
19 As a bonus one also has a working system in the day it takes for
20 everything to get emerged.
21
22 Stefan
25 If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
26 it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
27 --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
30 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list