From: Lincoln Rutledge <lrutledge@×××××××××.net>
To: Stefan Bruda <bruda@×××××××××××.ca>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] bootstrap install from hfs partition?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:55:33
1 On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 23:00, Stefan Bruda wrote:
2 > Hi.
3 >
4 > At 17:40 -0400 on 2004-8-16 Lincoln Rutledge wrote:
5 > >
6 > > My iBook is a 366 Indigo, and the cdrom doesn't read burnt cds. Is
7 > > there a way to bootstrap the install from the hard drive, a la
8 > > Debian and OpenBSD?
9 >
10 > I did install many times Gentoo from a live system, and it is not that
11 > much different from a usual install from CD. Heck, now that I think
12 > about it I realize that I did more such installations than
13 > installations from CD! Essentially I downloaded the stage
14 Thanks for responding so quickly.
15 Okay, I am new to Gentoo. What is a stage file?
16 > , unpacked
17 > it into the volume of choice, chrooted into the said volume,
18
19 Okay, sounds like the stage file is my root file system that I'll have
20 after install?
21 This assumes I already have a Linux system running with networking. I
22 have a chicken-or-egg problem here.
23 > and
24 > boostrapped/emerged as usual. Just follow the handbook--true there
25 > are some tools that do not exist in this setting (mirrorselect for
26 > instance) but they are not critical to the process at large by any
27 > means.
28
29 This is above my head, but I can sit down with the handbook.
30 >
31 > As a bonus one also has a working system in the day it takes for
32 > everything to get emerged.
33 >
34 > Stefan
35 Thanks Stefan, I'll look into it. :)
36
37 Lincoln
38
39 MARTA SAYS THE INTERESTING thing about fly-fishing is that it's two
40 lives connected by a thin strand. Come on, Marta, grow up. -- Jack
41 Handley, The New Mexican, 1988.
45 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list