From: Markus Moebs <wonderful_spam@×××.de>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Unable to boot Linux 2.4 on iBook G4
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 06:26:19
1 Hi,
2
3 * Praveen C <cpraveen@×××××.com> [2005-05-20]:
4 > My experience with my previous thinkpad is that the laptop runs cooler
5 > with a 2.4 kernel than 2.6. My iBook runs rather hot for a 1.2 GHz
6 > processor, 46-48C even when the system is practically idle. The
7 > hard-disk is particularly hot at ~50C. Hence I want to try the 2.4
8 > kernel and see if it makes any difference to the heating problem.
9 > praveen
10
11 My iBook G4 is runnig 2.6 and I am (almost) absolutely happy with
12 it. Most important is that it is put to sleep (almost) properly.
13
14 To reduce the heat just emerge speedfreq and pbbuttonsd and
15 configure pbbuttons properly to use dynamic pcu frequency scaling
16 also when on AC. So the iBook will run at 599Mhz when it is idle.
17 I even noticed that my iBook obviously has a fan, that never
18 started in OSX but starts rotating heavily e.g. when I start
19 compiling.
20 >
21 If you experience great difficulties configuring your system the
22 way I described, just contact me, I can share my configs to you or
23 to the list, but right now I got to do some studying.
26 :wq
27 --
28 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list